Monday, September 24, 2007

Tomato Basil Soup with Tortellini

Description: My knockoff of BYU MOA Cafe's soup. It's kind of simple, but don't be deceived by the lack of elaborate ingredients. It has a great taste and is perfect for Fall.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
2 (14.5 oz.) cans whole tomatoes
10 cups vegetable stock or broth
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, thinly sliced OR 5 1/3 tablespoons dried basil

Heat olive oil in large soup pot over medium high heat.
Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often until softened. Don't burn garlic.
Using blender or food processor, blend tomatoes.
Add tomato mixture and vegetable stock to soup pot.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Cook until soup is thickened slightly.
Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in basil. (It seems like a lot of basil, but trust me, it adds a great rich flavor.)

While soup is simmering, boil cheese tortellini (approx 5-6 servings). Or I like to use cheese ravioli too.
After the soup is done, add drained tortellini to the soup pot and serve.
Serves 6.

Leslie S.
Madison, WI

1 comment:

Ginger said...

My picky kids liked this! I did too. I think next time I will add some zucchini and/or corn. Most other recipes like this have more cheese added on top of the tortellini in them and I was happy that this still tasted great minus the extra fat.