Monday, January 7, 2008

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

Okay..these are amazing! I waitied all season to make them and finally did. I wished I had done it earlier and then eaten more. So good. I think you could even make some in January, because they are so tasty.

Ingredients:
Cookies:
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. dutch process cocoa powder (I used reg)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter, room temp
1 egg

frosting:
1/2 c. margerine, melted (I used butter)
1/4 c. evaporated milk
4-5 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. peppermint extract
red food coloring
1/2 c. broken peppermint candies

Directions:
Cookie:
Whisk flour, cocoa, and salt in medium bowl. In large bowl mix butter and sugar. Add egg. Add dry ingredients until blended. Refridgerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350. Line cookies sheets with parchement paper. Measure cookies into level tablespoonfulls and roll into balls. Lay on cookie sheet about 2 inches and press with glass. Edges will split. Bake until cookies no longer look wet and an indention appears when you press it (about 7 or 8 min). Let cool 5 min on cookie sheet and then move to cooling rack.

Frosting:
Mix margerine (butter), powdered sugar, and evaporated milk, until fluffy. Add extracts and food coloring. Spread or pipe (I piped using a plastic bag) onto cooled cookies. Sandwich cookies together and press a little so frosting comes out a bit on the edges. Roll in crushed candy for decoration.

Eat up!!! Delicious.

April White (I think this is from a magazine called simple living)

No comments: