Sunday, October 28, 2007

Swiss Steak

This is one of my favorite Sunday dinners, and since I made it today, I thought I would post it. I don't measure anything, so these are just estimates, but the recipe is very forgiving.

1 to 2 lbs round steaks, cut into individual serving sizes (I buy the eye of round so I don't have to bother cutting them up)
Flour, salt (1 tsp.) and pepper (1/2 tsp.)
Olive oil
1/2 to 1 onion, sliced in rings
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 T. parsley
salt and pepper
1-2 T. woschestire sauce
dash garlic powder

Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow baking dish. Dredge meat, then brown in the olive oil. Remove meat and place in 9x13 baking dish. Scatter onion rings over the meat. Combine tomatoes and seasonings (I just add the seasonings right into the can). Pour into the pan you browned the meat in and scrape up the browned bits. Pour tomato mixture over meat and onions. Cover and bake for 2 to 3 hours at 325. The longer this cooks, the better because the meat will be very tender. I like to make extra, and then serve the leftovers over rice, similar to smothered steak.

Libby
Montclair, NJ

No comments: