Monday, October 15, 2007

White/Wheat Bread

Libby-I’m not sure if you have a Bosch or a Kitchen Aid, but they really help in the kneading. I’m going to write this the way I make it - not necessarily the directions in the recipe. I usually make it will half white and half wheat flour, but also use it to make all white. This is a good way to get some good fiber and use the wheat from your food storage.

2 ½ cups water (115 degrees or so – too hot will kill your yeast)
1 Tbsp. active dry yeast (I use SAF or Fleishman's, but do not like Red Star)
¼ honey or sugar (honey with wheat is really good)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. salt
¼ cup margarine (melted)
3-4 cups more all-purpose flour (or wheat)

Pour water into your mixer (or large bowl). Sprinkle in yeast and add sugar or honey. Let yeast dissolve, without mixing – about 5 or 10 minutes. Don’t let it stand too long, or it will lose its life.
While yeast is dissolving, grease a large Tupperware bowl and lid with oil and grease your bread pans. Melt your butter in the microwave.

Add 3 cups of flour, mix until all flour is incorporated and then add 3 more cups of flour and mix again. I usually end up using a full 7 cups of flour – until the dough is soft and not too sticky. I have a Bosch and let it knead on speed 2 for about 5 minutes. If you don’t have a mixer, you can give your arms a workout! Plop the dough into your greased bowl and let rise until double (usually about 1 ½ -2 hours for me).

Punch the dough down and divide and shape 1-lb loaves. Sometimes I get 4, but usually 3 and 1/2. I have some mini loaf pans that I put the extra in and my kids think mini french toasts are the coolest thing ever. Cover your pans with some plastic wrap and let rise until about 2” above the top of the pans. Bake in a 375 degree oven 25-30 minutes and your bread is nice and golden. If you have a small thermometer – looks like a meat thermometer – the internal temperature is supposed to reach 200 degrees. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.

Meghan R.
San Jose, CA

No comments: